VEGAN FACE MASKS: TYPES, BENEFITS, TOP ONES TO TRY
There is no better booster/pick me up treatment for your skin than a good mask. And what if you could have a good one which is also vegan and cruelty-free? A jackpot.
Like all cosmetic products, facial masks can also contain animal-derived ingredients (tallow, lanolin, honey and much more). Now, besides being pretty gross, who wants to support animal cruelty in all its forms? Don´t think you want either.
WHAT DO FACIAL MASKS DO?
Depending on which one you choose, they can improve the texture of your skin, brighten the overall complexion, decrease signs of ageing, purify and detox.
Most people think of face masks as if they were something you only do at a Spa, the idea of having to wait 10-20 minutes while looking like an alien is not that attractive, plus they think they have to find the time to do it which is likely to never happen.
The truth is, face masks can do miracles for your skin and they should be a step of your skincare routine.
There are no rules when it comes to how many times you should use one, as it depends on what kind of mask you choose and the type of skin you have. Hydrating masks can be used everyday, purifying ones two-three times a week, but really, you should just listen to your skin and feel what it needs the most without too many restrictions. Also, you do not need to have a mask on for 20 minutes if you do not have the time for it, applying a brightening one in the morning while brushing your teeth, even for 5 minutes, will improve the appearance of your skin already and truly make a difference.
TYPES, BENEFITS AND CRUELTY-FREE RECOMMENDATIONS
We have put together a list of most types of masks that you can find on the market, the best cruelty-free and vegan options and their key benefits:
- Hydrating masks : perfect to increase the water quantity of your skin, hydrating masks are a rescue treatment for all skin types, especially dry ones. They often contain oils and butters to help smooth the skin while deeply nourishing it.
Our favourite, KAHINA GIVING BEAUTY MOISTURE MASK with argan oil, shea butter, prickly pear seed oil and red wine grape extract. Perfect for sensitive skin!
- Purifying Masks : they clean, exfoliate and detox our skin, remove dirt, pollution, grime, treat spots and eliminate impurities. An ally for combination/oily skin but not only. Everyone could use a purifying mask, although sensitive skin types should pay extra attention to the ingredients.
Our pick: SUKI TRANSFORMATIVE PURIFYING MASK, with kaolin, zinc oxide and willow bark extract.
- Energizing Masks: this type of mask is what you want to look for if your skin is dull and needs a boost of energy. They contain skin stimulating ingredients, such as caffeine, vitamin B3, copper, glycolic acid. Perfect to be applied in the morning while getting ready for the day, if signs of fatigue or lack of sleep is showing off.
Try 100% PURE CAFFEINE SHEET MASK for an instant brightening effect
- Antioxidants Masks : containing powerful ingredients such as Vitamin C, A, E, flavonoids, green tea. This type of masks limit free radicals production, decrease the appearance of wrinkles, prevent sunburn and help the skin repair ítself. Best pick for mature skin, they can be used by all skin types.
We must mention to you KAHINA GIVING BEAUTY ANTIOXIDANT FACE MASK, rich in argan oil, pomegranate and acai- yes, vitamins please!
- Exfoliating Masks: they slough off dulling dead skin cells by gently exfoliating the skin. They often have brightening ingredients which leave the skin looking rejuvinated and healthy. Suitable for all skin types, with exception of sensitive ones, although there are a lot of good exfoliating masks containing calming, soothing ingredients.
Last but not least, it is worth mentioning that there are many different types of masks based on their formulation, such as sheet ones (can be all above-mentioned types), peel-off ones (exfoliating), gel ones, sleeping ones (often hydrating),clay and charcoal masks (purifying). You should find the version which suits you best depending on your skin needs. This means: have fun trying them all out!